Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Life Of Mission

By Phillip Polo, Kenya (I found this in the book "The Upper Room")

Read 1 Kings 19:1-18

First Kings 18 tells how Elijah, the prophet of the lord, had a contest with the prophets of Baal. The outcome demonstrated that the Lord, not Baal, is the only true God to be worshiped. Afterwards, Elijah had to flee for fear of his life as Jezebel threatened to kill him. Fear overcame Elijah, and he forgot what God had done through and that God could protect him from Jezebel.
God appeared to Elijah and asked him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" Elijah pleaded with God to take his life because he was the only prophet of the Lord remaining. Possibly, Elijah had forgotten or purposely decided not to accomplish the work God wanted him to do.
Sometimes I too find myself overcome by worry and fear, worry about not having enough money, food, clothes, and good heath. Fear of not knowing what the future holds or of not succeeding in my career can engulf me. These become constant distractions that can divert my attention from my life's mission and what God wants me to do. But as I depend more on God, I can worry less and remain focused on what's really important: serving in God's Kingdom around me.
PRAYER: Dear God of assurance, train our spiritual eyes to focus on you and our mission in life, for the growth of your Kingdom, Amen.

"My questions for you: What is your mission that God has for you? Do you want to accept this mission and fulfill it in your life? Think and answer for yourself! Shalom!"

No comments:

Post a Comment